There are many ways for you to get involved, and all are appreciated. The fastest way to help the homeless young families, seniors and LGBTQ young adults we serve? Make a gift at www.homeward.nyc/donate.
Volunteer Your Time
We are grateful for the many schools, houses of worship, companies, and community groups that volunteer their time and expertise. Although we do not offer a formal volunteer program, teaching a class or workshop at our Upper West Side intergenerational site, or Harlem or Bronx LGBTQ sites might be a good fit. To learn more, email volunteer@homeward[DOT]nyc.
The Mom Squad (an UWS group of moms and friends) are longtime volunteers at our Upper West Side site, and they are very organized. They’re sort of our unofficial volunteer outreach coordinators. Cheri Fandozzi is a co-founder of the group. More here: http://yogacheri.com/mom-squad.html
Please note that storage space is limited.
These items are helpful for the young families at Homeward Upper West Side:
- New baby care items like diapers and formula
- Gently used baby care items like strollers and car seats
- New toys and books
We are no longer able to accept donations of bedding or stuffed animals at Homeward UWS. In general, clothing donations are not needed but please check—we sometimes have specific needs for toddler sizes and children’s winter coats and boots.
To find out how your donation would be most helpful, please email volunteer@homeward[DOT]nyc.
These new personal care and household items are helpful across all sites:
- Air fresheners
- Cooking utensils
- Disinfectant wipes and sprays
- Hand sanitizer
- Other cleaning and sanitary supplies (e.g. bleach, paper towels, tissues, trash bags)
- Toiletries (e.g. Band Aids, body splash, body wash, Chapstick, comb, deodorant, hairbrush, hand wipes, lotion, mouthwash, nail clippers, packs of tissues, pads and tampons, razors, shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste)
For the safety of our residents, please ship items to: 483 West End Avenue, New York, NY 10024.
Homeward NYC current residents:
- Homeward Upper West Side: 40 older adults, 54 young mothers and 92 children under age 7 (average age is 22 months)
- Homeward West Harlem: 30 young adults
- Homeward Bronx: 30 young adults
Download the one-page flyer with an overview of Homeward NYC